1883 The History of Union County, Ohio, containing a history of the county and its townships.
AT the time of the organization of Union County, the territory now comprising Allen Township was embraced in Union Township. In 1822, when Liberty Township was formed, this territory was then mostly embraced there- in, and thus remained until June 5, 1827, when, at a meeting of the Commissioners of Union County, it was agreed ” that a new township be set off to be called Allen Township, to be bounded as follows, to wit: Beginning at the southeast corner of Liberty Township, thence running with the east line of said township north six miles; thence running west to the west line of said Liberty Township; thence south to the line between Champaign and Union Counties; thence east with the said Liberty Township line three miles to the corner; thence south with the said line of Liberty Township to the northwest corner of Union Township; thence east with the north line of Union Town- ship to the beginning.” Levi Phelps, Clerk of the Board of County Com- missioners,
ALLEN TOWNSHIP SURVEYS.
The earliest surveys in the territory embraced in this township were made in October, 1797. The surveys are as follows: Surveyed for Henry Whitning 740 acres, Survey No. 102, June 6, 1813; Walter Dun, D. S. Surveyed, De- cembers, 1823, for Charles Simms, ],200 acres, Survey No. 158; James Gallo- way, D. S. Surveyed, June 8, 1806, for James Denny, assignee, 300 acres, Sur- vey No. 1,502; James Galloway, D. S. Surveyed, September 28,1799, for John Hefferlin, 100 acres, Sui’vey No. 2,598; Lucas Sullivant, D. S. Surveyed, No- vember 4, 1797, for Richard Stephenson’s heirs-at-law to Hugh Stepheuson- deceased, 1,000 acres. Survey No. 2669; Lucas Sullivant, D. S. Surveyed, No- vember 1, 1797, for Peter Manifold, assignee, 1,000 acres, Survey No. 2,833; Lucas Sullivant, D. S. Surveyed, October 30, 1797, for Samuel Wallace, 1,000 acres, Survey No. 2,875; Lucas Sullivant, D. S. Surveyed, October 23, 1797, for Lucas Sullivant, assignee, 1,300 acres. Survey No. 2,979; Lucas Sullivant, D. S. Surveyed, November 26, 1797, for John Mumford Gregory, 800 acres. Survey No. 2,980; Lucas Sullivant, D. S. Surveyed, November 26, 1797, for Andrew Torborn, 1,000 acres, Survey No. 2,981; Lucas Sullivant, D. S. Surveyed, November 26, 1797, for Andrew Torborn, 1,000 acres, Survey No. 2,983; Lucas Sullivant, D. S. Surveyed, December 20, 1797, for William Carter, 1,000 acres. Survey No. 3,151; Lucas Snllivant, D. S. Surveyed, De- cember 20, 1797, for Henry Baumgaitner, 200 acres, Survey No. 3,156; Lucas Sullivant, D. S. Surveyed, April 10, 1799, for Richard Stephenson, 800 acres. Survey No. 3,163; Lucas Sullivant, D. S. Surveyed, September 28, 1799, for Obadiah R. Harrison, 200 acres, Survey No 3,241; Lucas Sullivant, D. S. Surveyed, September 17, 1799, for Lucas Sullivant, 1,000 acres. Survey No. 3,681; Lucas Sullivant, D. S. Surveyed, September 11, 1799, for George McCrider, 100 acres. Survey No. 3,697; Lucas Sullivant, D. S. Surveyed, Sep- tember 17, 1799, for James Wilson, 100 acres, Survey No. 3,741; Lucas Sulli- vant, D. S. Surveyed September 17, 1799, for James Wilson, 200 acres. Sur- vey No. 3,742; Lucas Sullivant, D. S. Surveyed September 30, 1799, for Lucas Sullivant, assignee, 200 acres. Survey No. 3,748; Lucas Sullivant, DS.
Surveyed, September, 30, 1799, for Lucas Sullivant, 200 acres, Survey No. 3,748; Lucas Sullivant, D. S. Surveyed, September 30, 1799, for James Cole- man, assignee, Joseph Flipps, Rowland Estes, Lucas Sullivant, assignee, and David White, assignee, 600 acres. Survey No. 3,749; Lucas Sullivant, D. S. Surveyed September 28, 1799, for George Custard, 100 acres. Survey No. 3,752; Lucas Sullivant, D. S. Surveyed, December 12, 1805, for the representatives of Lewelling Jones, 1,100 acres, Survey No. 4,814; James Gallo- way, Jr., D. S. Surveyed, November 5, 1807, for Peter Manifold, 481 acrec3, Survey No. 4,610; James Galloway, Jr., D. S. Surveyed December 15, 1809, for John Hays, 200 acres, Survey No. 4,880; James Galloway, Jr., D. S. Surveyed May 1, 1806, for Thomas Sears, 500 acres, Survey No. 4,933; Duncan McArthur, D. S. Surveyed, July 22, 1809, for Zadoc Bailey and James Crop- per, 120 acres, Survey No. 6,295; James Galloway, Jr., D. S. Surveyed, March 5, 1811, for Rice Haggard and Nancy, his wife, 866f acres. Survey No. 7,022; James Galloway, Jr., D. S. Surveyed, October 26, 1813, for Anthony Walke and Abridgeton Jones, 3,337 acres. Survey No. 7,822; Walter Dun, D. S. Surveyed, November 1, 1815, for Walter Dun and Nathan Haines, assignees, 500 acres. Survey No. 8,565; Walter Dun, D. S. Surveyed, February 5, 1819, for Walter Dun, assignee, 200 acres. Survey No. 9,796; Walter Dun, D. S. Surveyed June 17, 1823, for John Evans and William Withers, 140 acres. Surveys Nos. 12,242 and 12,262; Duncan McArthur, D. S. Surveyed, January 11, 1825. for Walter Dun and George Clark, assignees, 82 acres. Surveys No. 12,081 and 12,744; Walter Dun, D. S. Surveyed for John Guthrie, 320 acres, Survey No. 4,606 — a part of said land is in Logan County. Surveyed for James Galloway, 360 acres. Survey No. 5,746. Surveyed
for Walter Dun, acres. Survey No. 7,772 (mostly in Logan County).
Surveyed for N. Bailey, 120 acres. Survey No. 6,295. Surveyed for Mazy Vance, 1,000 acres, Survey No. 12,308. Surveyed for H. Massie, 40 acres, Survey No. 14,602. Surveyed for James Galloway, 260 acres, Survey No 15,809.
This township was the fifth in date of organization in Union County, and although from its geographical position it was not settled as early by several years as the southern townships of the county, yet settlers entered this territory quite early, and after the first settler located within its boundaries he was followed by others in rapid succession; and within the period of fifteen years from the time of the location of the first settler the township of Allen was quite thickly populated. The township is located in the southwestern part of the county. It is bounded north by Liberty and Paris Townships, on the east by Paris, on the south by Union Township and Champaign County, and on the west by Logan County. Just who was the first settler within the precincts of this territory it is difficult now to ascertain, as there were several who located here at nearly the same time. We have, however, concluded to commence our pioneer list with the name of Henry Vangordon, who, if not the first settler, was one of tl)e first. He was a native of Pennsylvania, married Catharine Carter, emigrated to Ohio at an early day, came to Allen Township and settled on Buck Run, on land now owned by Jacob Leonard, it is believed, about 1820. Subsequently he removed to Illinois, where he died. His children were as follows: Henry, married Eliza Spain, became a minister in the United Brethren Church, and moved to the West; Samuel and Mary (twins), the former is deceased, the latter married Philander Spain, and now resides in Illinois; Elizabeth and Charles, died in early childhood; George, removed to the West, and Wesley was killed by a falling tree when a child. Mr. Henry Vangordon was one of thirteen voters at the first election after the township was constituted; also one of the first Trustees, and its fourth Treasurer.
Daniel Allen, a native of Pennsylvania, married Rachel Burwell, and about 1813 emigrated to Ohio, and settled in Madison County; about 1820-21, came to Allen Township, where he settled and remained until his death, being killed by falling from a load of oats and breaking his neck, in 1832. The township was named in honor of him. As a man and citizen, he was highly esteemed and respected; was one of the first thirteen voters, and one of the three first Trustees; was an earnest and devoted Christian and a class leader in the church. His children were as follows: Mary, married David Reed, and subsequently removed to Iowa, where she died; Jonathan, married Roanna Talbot, and also died in Iowa; Betsy Ann, married Uram Carpenter, and now resides in Logan County, Ohio^ Samuel, Isaac and Wilson, all removed to Iowa, where they married and settled.
Isaac Allen, a brother of the above Daniel Allen, early removed to the State of New York and married Theresa Andrews. In the fall of 1811, they emigrated to Ohio and settled in Pike Township, Madison County. In 1829, he removed to this county and settled in Allen Township, where he resided till his death, in 1863. His wife died in 1860. Of their children — Romanta, married Anna Mather, and removed to Iowa, where he died; Lury, married Alvin Wilcox, and subsequently removed to Indiana, where she died; Phebe, married William Mather, and now resides in Iowa; Mira, married Chistopher Wilbur, is now a widow and lives on the home place; Nathan B., married Margaret Mather, and now resides in Iowa; Emily, married Warren Lathrop, is deceased; Harriet, manned Michael Mullen, and removed to Iowa, where she died; and Caroline, who died in infancy.
Jonathan Burwell, a native of Pennsylvania, settled in Allen Township about the same time with Daniel Allen. He married a Miss Yangorden and had the following children: Ephraim, Rachel, Eleanor, John, Sarah, Phebe, Catharine, Elizabeth and Anna. Mr. Burwell died in summer of 1829. He was one of the first thirteen voters.
Southard Mather, a native of Maryland, came with his father’s family to Milford Center, Union County, Ohio; there he married Perlina Rice, and settled in Allen Township about 1822-23. Subsequently he removed to Iowa, where he died. He was also one of the first thirteen voters, and the first Clerk of Allen Township.
Moses Bedford, it is believed, was a native of Virginia; emigrated to Ohio and first located at Milford Center, where he followed shoemaking. Finally, he married Betsey Southard, settled on Buck Run, and was one of the thirteen who voted at the first election in 1827. Subsequently he removed into Champaign County.
William Epps, a native of Virginia, settled in Champaign County, Ohio, about 1806-9, locating north of North Lewisburg, near the line of Union County. About 1825, he settled on the Shepherd Clark farm in Allen Town- ship, where he remained till his death. Mr. Epps was one of the thirteen voters at the first election. Of his children were Richard, John, William, Joshua, Thomas, Hamilton and Sarah.
William W. Haines was born at Chillicothe in 1801, and in December of the same year, with his father’s family, removed to Logan County, where he re- sided till about 1818-20, when he came into Union County, and settled in this township, remaining a resident till his death in 1850. He was one of the thirteen to vote at the first election of the township. He married Atlantic Grubbs, by whom he had the following children: Oliver P., who married Eve McCumber, and is now a resident of DeWitt County, 111.; Dorcas Ann, married J. W. Smith, and resides in Illinois; Solomon, died a young single man; Levi, never
married and died at thirty years of age; Amos, married Hannah Snuffin, she died and he is now a widower; and William O., married Hester Gibson and now resides in Illinois.
Jesse Haines, a brother of William W. Haines, married Delilah Bay less, and subsequently settled in Logan County, where he resided till his death.
William Asher was a native of Culpeper County, Va. , where he married Betsey Sharp. In 1800, he emigrated with his family to Ohio and settled in Ross County; thence about 1803-4, removed into Logan County; thence re- moved to Champaign County, and finally, about 1823, located in Union County, Allen Township, on the same place where his son now resides, and remained in the same neighborhood till his death, in 1847. He and his son John constituted two of the thirteen voters at the first election. His children were as follows: Polly, married William Austin; he died, and she married Joseph Stokes, she died in Logan County; Sallie, married Bunyan Parker, and died in Champaign County, Ohio; John, married Deborah Ray in 1826, and resides on the old home place, where he and his companion have now resided fifty-six years; Malinda, married John P. Reed, a native of Maryland, who, with his father, Samuel Reed, settled in Union Township, this county, in 1802; John P. Reed and wife settled on Buck Run, on land now owned by Thomas Stillings, about 1825. About 1848, they removed to Iowa, where Mr. Reed died; subsequently she married Israel Reed; he is deceased, and she is now a widow residing in Colorado. Jeremiah married Rachel Austin and settled at West Liberty, Logan County, where he was a merchant many years and where he died. David married Jane McClung, a daughter of Isaac Mc- Clung, who came from Pennsylvania and settled in this township about 1835- 38. David and wife settled on the Darby on the Snuffin farm, but subsequently removed to Auglaize County, where his wife died; he again returned to this township, and about 18(38 married Maria McClung, and is now residing on the old McClung farm. Harriet married Alvin Gano, and is now residing in Iowa. William died in childhood.
William Milligan, a native of Pennsylvania, with his family emigrated to this county, and settled on the Darby, on the Henry Clark farm, about 1824- 25, where he resided several years. He was a tanner by trade, and finally settled in North Lewisburg, where he built a tannery and carried on the tanning business through life. He died at North Lewisburg. His children were Samuel, William, Rupe, Jesse, Morgan, Amos and Eliza. Mr. Milligan was one of the thirteen mentioned so often; the first election of the township, and several succeeding ones, were held at his house.
Samuel Milligan, a brother of the above, married a Miss Van Wye after settling in this township. He located on the same tract of land with his brother William, where he resided till his death. He and his wife had no issue. Mr. Milligan was a man of excellent character and much esteemed by all who knew him.
Nimrod Garwood was another one of the thirteen voters at first election, but we did not learn his nativity or the exact year of his settling here; it is certain, however, that he was an early settler, and a leading man in the organization of the township. He was one of its first Trustees, its first Treasurer, and Township Clerk from 1828 to 1831 inclusive.
Joseph Russell was the remaining one of the thirteen first voters of Allen Township, of whom we gather no other information.
John Paver, a native of Maryland, married Elizabeth Wagoner, a native of Virginia, and emigrated to Fairfield County, Ohio, in 1802. In 1829, he removed with his family to Union County, settled in this
township on the place where his son John now lives, and here resided till his death, in 1851, aged seventy-seven years. His wife died in 1848. Mr. Paver began in the woods and endured the full hardships of pioneer life. He was the father of nine children — James married a Miss Meredith, of Hardin County, Ohio, and resided in that county till his death; Thomas married a Miss Davis, of Tennessee, where he first settled, and the last known of him he was living in Louisiana; Elizabeth married Abraham Leonard, of Pickaway County, Ohio, and is now deceased; Sarah married William Davis, and is deceased; Anna and Mary died young; Cynthia married Alexander Davis, is deceased; and John married Maria Poling, and resides on the old homo place.
Abraham Leonard, a native of Virginia, emigrated to Ohio and settled in Pickaway County, where he married Elizabeth Paver, and in 1827 removed to Union County, settling on land now owned by John Paver, Survey No. 2,983. On this place he resided till his death. May 5, 1853. His wife survived him and died January 14, i860. Their children were Mary Ann, who died while young; Susanna, married Abraham Spain and resides near North Lewisburg; Rachel, married Willis Epps, he died and she married James Groe; Dorety died young: James, married a Miss Huff, and now resides in Champaign County; Jacob, married Jane McGill; Martin, married Lina Wagoner, and both are deceased.
Hollis Amy settled here in 1829, and married Prudence Williams. Mr. Amy died at North Lewisburg about 1876. They had two children — Elisha and Nancy; the latter married a Mr. Burnham, and resides in Champaign County.
Amos A. Williams married Eleanor Stewart, and settled here about 1827-28. He suffered the loss of one foot from being run over by the cars ; it was amputated, but he lived only a few weeks after the surgical operation was performed, and died October 23, 1855. His wife died January 14, 1860. Their children were as follows : Elisha, died in childhood ; Mary, also died young ; Erastus, died in infancy, July 29, 1833, and was the first body buried in Buck Run Cemetery ; Hannah, died at fifteen years of age ; James, married Americus Stewart ; Malinda, died in infancy ; William, died in the army in the war of the rebellion ; and Stephen, the youngest.
Alvin Wilcox, a native of the State of New York, emigrated to Madison County, Ohio, at an early date, and in the spring of 1829 settled in Allen Township. He married Lucy Allen, resided here several years, thence removed to Illinois, thence to Iowa, and subsequently to the State of Missouri. They had the following children : Elizabeth, Theresa, Cynthia, Isaac, Mira and Joel, who were born in this county ; and Mary, Anna, Jeane and Eleanor, born in Illinois.
Luther Wood, a native of Connecticut, born March 31, 1799, emigrated with his father’s family to the State of New York, where his father died. In 1820. he removed to Ohio and settled in Union Township, where, in 1823, he married Rosanna Cochren, a native of Pennsylvania. In 1829, he located in Allen Township, where he resided till a short time before his death, when he removed into Jerome Township and resided one year; thence removed to Piqua, Ohio, where, six weeks after, he died, in August, 1867. His widow still survives, aged eighty years, and resides with her children. Unto them were born the following children : Kingsley, who married Hannah Coe ; she died and he married Mary Smith ; again death took from him his companion, and he married Elizabeth Spencer, who is also deceased, and he is now a widower and lives at Piqua. William C. married Maria Mc Williams. Lucinda married William McWilliams and resides in Piqua. Algelana married Alfred Mitchell ; he died, and she married James D. Robinson. James married Josephine Reed ; she died, and he married Anna Myers ; and Mary Ann married Nathaniel Ryan ; he is dead and she is now a widow.
Matlock Stokes, a native of Virginia, emigrated to Ohio and settled in Loo-an County at an early day, where he married Rebecca Snuffin, and about 1828-30, settled in the west part of this county, in Allen Township. Here he resided only a few years, and removed to West Liberty, Ohio, where he and his wife both died. Of their children, Matilda died young, and Wesley resides in Logan County.
William Snuffin, a native of New Jersey, emigrated to Ohio when young, married a Miss Connor, and about 1830 settled in this township, on the place where Chester Clark now lives, and here resided several years, but finally moved to the West.
William Inskeep, Jr.. a son of John Inskeep, one of the early settlers of Logan County, Ohio, married Mary Stokes, of Logan County ; settled in this township, on the tract of land where Hiram Inskeep now lives, and there re- sided till his death, in September, 1845. His widow still survives and resides with her children. Mr. Inskeep was one of the most highly esteemed citizens of Allen Township, and was honored with many of the township offices. In 1838, he was elected Treasurer of the township, which office he held, continuously, by re-election, to the time of his death. He was the father of the following children • Louisa, who died young ; Hiram, whose biographical sketch appears in this volume ; Matilda Ann, married John Harrison, is now de- ceased ; Olive, married William Crary, whose sketch is also in this work ; William Elbert ; and Victoria, who married Walter Bales.
Elisha Cowgill, it is believed, was born in Eastern Ohio. With his father, John Cowgill, and family, he settled in Logan County in 1807, and there grew to manhood and married Polly Bishop. He settled in the northwest part of Allen Township, Union County, about 1827-28, on land now owned by his son, John B. Cowgill. Here Mr. Cowgill opened out in the woods, making the first improvement ever made upon this place, and here he remained through all his active life. In advanced life he sold his farm to his sons, and made his home with his son, John B. , till his death, in March, 1882. His children were, Matilda, Mary, Nancy, Betsy, Melissa, Jemima, John B. , Aaron and Jonathan G.
Edward Tyler, a native of Virginia, emigrated to Ohio and settled on Big Darby, on land now owned by the widow Abraham, in 1827-28, where he resided till his death. His children were^ Samuel, Alexander, Elias, Hiram and Isaac. The latter became a practicing physician, but is now deceased.
Cornelius Meshon, a native of Kentucky, settled on the McClung place, on the west bank of the Darby, about 1828-29, but after a few years’ residence moved away.
John Milligan, a half brother of William Milligan, previously mentioned, settled on the Clark land, on the east side of Darby, about 1828-29. He married Rebecca Dawson, and resided here many years, but finally removed to Van Wert County, Ohio, where they died. Their children were John, Washington, Charles, and three or four daughters, whose names are unknown.
John Dawson, a native of Pennsylvania, settled on land just north of Isaac Brodrick’s, where Henry Cline now lives, about 1830-31. He died at the home of his son-in-law, Henry Poling, at Allen Center, about 1877.
Joseph Dunlap settled here about 1830-32. Subsequently he removed to Putnam County, Ohio, where he died.
Daniel Spain, a native of Virginia, born October 14, 1786, emigrated to Ohio and settled in Champaign County, three miles west of North Lewisburg He married Agnes Crowder, and in the spring of 1832
removed to this county and located on a tract of land where his son, Sanford W., now lives. He commenced in the green woods, “not a stick amiss.” About one year after, in 1833, he died, and the work of making a home and a farm devolved upon the mother and her children, who were quite young, the eldest son, John P., being about twenty years of age. In three years after, or in 1836, death again visited their family, and took from them this oldest son. Their other children were Millie, who married Paschal Spain, and is deceased; Sanford W.. married Matilda Wallace. She died and he married Sarah Ann Shirk, and now resides on the old home farm. Dollie never married, and died young; Daniel W., married Sarah Sheneman, and resides east of Sanford W., on a part of the home farm; Clements, married Mary June Tobey, is now deceased; and Levi E., married Lovina Poling, and resides on the north part of the home place. It will be observed in the history of this family that after the death of the father, Daniel Spain, three years had scarcely elapsed when the eldest son died, and the care of the family, the work of making home and paying for their land devolved mainly upon the mother and the next eldest son, Sanford. who was then eighteen years of age. They were in the midst of the wilderness, and the prospect before them was gloomy in the extreme. But with true pioneer courage, with willing hands and hearts, they labored on; obstacles gave way before them, and to day they have a good improved farm, with good buildings and the comforts of life. Mrs. Spain, the mother, died about 1840.
Abraham Holycross, it is believed, was a native of Champaign County, Ohio, and a son of Howell Holycross, a native of Virginia. He married Hester Dunlap, and settled on the east bank of the Darby, in Allen Township, about 1833, and remained a resident of this township till his death. The following were his children: Pearson, Beamer, Kobert, Lucinda, Tabitha, Nancy and Martha. Mr. Holycross was a good, kind neighbor and a respected citizen.
Isaac Brodrick was born in New Jersey October 1, 1802, and at six months of age was brought by his parents to the vicinity of Wheeling, W.Va. In 1813, they removed to Warren County, Ohio, where Isaac grew to manhood and married Hannah Wood, a native of the Red Stone country, in Pennsylvania. In the winter of 1833, he settled in Union County, on the place where he now lives, having made a residence here of half a century. When he located here, he knew but two settlers between his place and Newton, one of whom was James Wilbur, and one located further north. Mr. Brodrick took possession of his land in the woods, and has cleared up and brought into cultivation 100 acres; has good buildings and improvements. His wife died April 3, 1876. They raised four children — Mary Ann, who married Richard Wells, she died in April, 1878; Isaac, married Sarah Huff, and resides on the home farm, and has served as Justice of the Peace nine years; James moved away, and when the war of the rebellion occurred, was in New Orleans, serving as an engineer on a steamboat, since which nothing has been known of him; and Hannah Jane, who married Charles Van Wye; she died in the spring of 1878. Mr. Brodrick is now past fourscore years, and has borne the brunt of pioneer life.
Daniel Coe, a native of Pennsylvania, married Mary Gladden, and in the spring of 1833 emigrated to Ohio; settled in this township on the place where his son, Philip, now lives, and here resided till his death. Their children were Philip, who married Elizabeth Woodworth; she died, and he married Louisa S. Smith; he resides on the old home place, where he has lived since eleven years of age, a period of forty- nine years, and where he has a beautiful home; Joseph married Mary Clark, and now resides in Springfield, Mass.; Moses, married Martha Boal, both are deceased; Hannah married K. L. Wood, is deceas3d; Sarah married John W. Robinson; Elizabeth married Dr. Swain, of Milford Center; he died, and she married L. H. Smith; she now resides with her mother, at Marysville; Mary married R. R. Henderson| and now re- sides at Minneapolis, Minn.; Jane died unmarried; William died in infancy; Olive G. married
W. Simmons Johnson, is now deceased; Martha married Leonidas Piper, is now deceased, and Isabel died in childhood. Mr. Coe was a man of character and esteemed for his many good qualities; was a worthy member of the Presbyterian Church, and a Ruling Elder in the same for many years.
James Wilbur was born in the State of New York ; emigrated to Ohio and settled in Union County about 1830. He married Sarah Cameron. He first settled on the Williams farm, then took a lease of land ; but about 1836-87 bought a tract of land where he still lives, and has made a continued residence of forty- five or forty-six years. He is the father of the following children : Sarah Ann, who married George Carpenter ; Owen, married Sarah Jane Marsh; Edwin, married Orange Eaton ; Olive, married Randolph Marsh, is deceased ; William, married Mary Welch, and resides in Kansas ; Addie, married Deville Wood ; Zachariah married Addie Allen, and resides on the home place with his aged father, who is aged and feeble, being now eighty-three years of age; and Joseph and Aimed both deceased. Mr. Wilbur is one of the oldest surviving pioneers of Allen Township.
James Stillings was born in Maryland, May 8, 1785. He married Mary Barnes, a native of Maryland, and in the spring of 1829 emigrated to Clark County, Ohio. About 1834-35, removed to this county and located on the tract of land where Jacob Leonard now lives, where he resided till his death in the fall of 1865. His wife survived him, but has since died. The fruits of their union were as follows : Alexander, who married and settled at Find- lay, Ohio ; Thomas married Somelia Dines ; Catharine married Edward Nu- gent and resides in Kansas : James is deceased ; William married in Iowa, and now resides in Kansas, having a second wife ; Edward married Mary Smith, of Kenton, Ohio, where he practiced law several years ; is now a resident and practitioner at Lawrence, Kan. ; Timothy married Elizabeth Kelly and removed to Kansas, where he died : John married Miss Cantwell, she died, and he married a second time ; is now one of the most prominent lawyers of Kenton, Ohio, where he has practiced more than twenty years ; Mary married Joseph Brown and removed to Iowa, where she died in 1882 ; and George, who married Jane Walke, and now resides in Champaign County, 111.
Samuel Marsh was born in West Virginia May 30, 1S09. He married Mary Ryan, and about 1835 emigrated to Ohio and settled in Union County, on the place where he still lives. He purchased this farm of Alvin Wilcox – it then had on it a rough log cabin and about twenty five acres, partly cleared. He had a team, two cows, and $150 in money. He went in debt for the land, and then commenced in earnest the battle for a home and a competency. He subsequently added more land to his purchase, till he became owner of various tracts, amounting in all to 716 acres, all of which he paid for by his own skill and labor, and that of his family. He has given the greater portion of these lands to his children, thus giving them a good start iu life. He has reserved for himself ninety-four and one-half acres at the home place, with good buildings and improvements, constituting a pleasant farm home. Such has been the life and character of this worthy settler of Allen Township. Mr. Marsh is an active member of the Methodist Church, to which he has given, at home and abroad, liberally of his means ; has been a liberal supporter of public schools, and to all general public improvements.
Enoch Morse, a native of the State of New York, settled on the Darby on land now owned by Leister Clark, about 1835, where he lived till his death. He was a blacksmith by trade, a good neighbor and esteemed citizen. His children were as follows : Enoch, Chauncy, Charles, Christopher. Harriet, Mary. Delilah and Julia.
William Moore, a native of Virginia, settled on the east bank of the Darby, on land now owned by Pearson Holycross, about 1S40, and remained a resident of this township till his death.
The above list embraces most of the early settlers. There are, however, a few about whom we have learned but few particulars. Of these, the following names are of persons known to have been early settlers, to wit : Vandever Reed, Joseph Coberly, George Miller, John Gabriel, Dixon Mitchell, Samuel Ballinger, Alfred Hale, William Smith, Thomas Dodds, James Cochren, William Hoff, William Rowland, Benjamin Vickers, Thomas Dan, Elijah Kinney, Elijah Burroughs, L. Hibbard and John G. Hibbert.
We now desire to give the history of one more family of this township, not because they were early settlers, but from their remarkable age, and the almost unprecedented length of time that this aged and venerable couple have traveled the journey of life together. Seventy-one years have they shared its joys and its pleasures, or buoyed up each the other under its burden of toil and labors, its afflictions and sorrows ! Over “threescore years and ten,” the allotted period to mortals given, have they walked hand in hand in the conflicts of life ! And still the messenger of death spares them, and still they are permitted to live among and enjoy the society of their aged but respected children. This family is as follows :
James Cavender was born in Hillsboro County, N. H. , May 15, 1786, where he married Rachel Buttler, who was born July 4, 1789 ; they were married November 27, 1811. In 18i6, they emigrated to Ohio and located on William Bales’ farm, where they have resided to the present time. He has been a farmer by occupation through all his active life. Their children were as follows : Annis, married Joseph Simons, a native of New Hampshire, where they resided most of their lives, and died in their native State : Abra- ham Holmes, married Elvira Hopkins, of New Hampshire, and subsequently, in 1848, moved to Ohio and settled in Logan County ; thence, about 1850, they removed to St. Paul, Minn., where they now reside ; Jonathan Buttler never married, and died in Kentucky, aged forty-two years ; Sarah married William Bales ; Charles never married, but died at twenty-live years of age in his native State. Mary married Paul Whittemnre, and lived and died in their native State ; E. Burnham married Harriet Laws, and reside ill New Hamp- shire ; Rachel married Williard Powers, she died in her native State ; and David, the youngest, married Jane Carley, and now resides in Illinois.
SURFACE, STREAMS, SOIL, ETC.
The surface of this township is level and undulating. Along the streams are level bottom lands; in the southern portion is a tract formerly known as the ” Crane Swamp,” and another tract in the northeast portion known as the ” Bear Swamp.” These were formerly very flat and wet, and thickly grown up with trees and an undergrowth of grass and brush that it was impossible to ride through them on horseback. But these, by ditching and draining, are becoming the best of cultivated lands, from being at one time the lairs and hiding places of wild beasts. The balance of the township is undulating, with here and there portions that might be termed hilly. The principal stream is the Big Darby, which enters the township from its western border, about mid- way between its northern and southern boundaries, flowing in a southwesterly course; it passes out of this township and through the northeast corner of Champaign County, again enters this township, passes in and after a southeasterly course of about two miles across the southern extremity, enters Union Township. The only other stream or creek of any importance is Buck Run, which rises in the northern central part of the township, and takes a general southeast course, leaving it at its southeast corner and passing into Union Township. South of Allen Centre, it receives Bear Swamp Run, a small creek which takes its rise in Bear Swamp, in the northeast part of the township, courses in a southerly direction and empties into Buck Run as above described. The soil on the bottom lands along the creeks and on some of the low level portions, is a very rich black loam; the balance is a clay soil, and the whole is strong and productive, yielding abundant crops of wheat, corn
and oats. The principal varieties of timber in the forests were originally white, black, red and burr oak, elm, sugar maple, and some walnut and hickory; and in the northern part of the township some beech. In the extreme south part of the township, on the farm of Nathan Howard, are what were formerly known as the ” Indian Fields,” so called from the fact that when the first settlers came into this county, they found the Indians cultivating corn on these lands, they being then clear of all timber or undergrowth. After the Indians left, and prior to the lands being occupied by the white settlers, those fields, once so clear and easily cultivated, had become covered with a thick growth of trees and brush, and it required much toil and labor to clear them up and bring them again into cultivation. When the settlers first came to this section, the forests were full of wild game — bears, deer and wild turkeys — which furnished them with an abundance of good meat; and had it not been for this supply, many a poor man would have been short of rations. One locality, south of Allen Centre, near where Bear Swamp Run empties into Buck Run, was a notable ” deer lick,” where the deer congregated in large numbers. Not with- standing the many disadvantages, hardships and trials which the first settlers had to endure, yet Providence had combined with them many circumstances, which much ameliorated their condition.
The Beltz Grist Mill, located near the Champaign County line and near the Big Darby, was one of the earliest erected mills in the township. About 1820-21, Samuel Hawkins erected a mill on this site, run by water power. After running the mill a few years, he sold the property to Thomas Dunn. About 1835, he was succeeded by Beltz Bros., and from that date to the present time — a period of nearly half a century — the mill has been in possession of some of the Beltz family. Soon after Beltz Bros, purchased the property, they erected a small distillery, which, after several years, passed out of use. At one time there was a saw mill run in connection with the grist mill, which was erected either by Mr. Hawkins or Mr. Dunn; it continued to supply the neighborhood with lumber until about 1870, when it went out of use. At the present time, Daniel Beltz is owner and proprietor of this mill. Although this mill in its construction was rude and imperfect, yet in that day it was a great blessing and convenience to this neighborhood. It is now out of repair, and has not been in use for about two years.
Wetzel Mill. — Further down the Darby, in the extreme south part of the township, is the Wetzel mill site. Mr. Daniel Coe, probably about 1836-38, erected a saw mill here, and began the work of digging and constructing a race to supply water from the Darby Creek sufficient to run a grist mill. He was two years constructing this race, which cost $1,300. He also laid the foundation for the grist mill, but being unable to complete it, for want of capital, he finally sold the property to Ira Johnson, who then erected the grist mill, and subsequently, or at nearly the same time, built a distillery and a large warehouse; soon after, the whole property was destroyed by fire. But again he erected the buildings, although on a smaller scale. But the undertaking was too much for his tinancial strength, and he failed in business, and the property finally came into the ownership of Williams & Bennett, who also failed, which ended all effort at the distilling business. The grist mill was purchased, at public sale, by Messrs. Howard and Leonard, who subsequently sold the property to Mr. Martin Wetzel; and while in his ownership, in 1856, it was again destroyed by fire. He, however, again rebuilt it, and continued business till the summer of 1882, when he removed the machinery to Unionville, where he erected a mill and is now doing business.
Finley Saw Mill. — About 1848-50, James Finley built a saw-mill on the Milford & Allen Centre pike, run by steam-power. This mill has. since that date, furnished the principal lumber for that neighborhood. After Mr. Finley had run this mill a few years, and prior to the war of the rebellion, sold the property to Mr. S. B. Childs, who has continued to do business here to the present time.
Pottersburg Saw Mill. — In 1808, Williams & Bennett erected a steam- power saw mill at Pottersburg. They were succeeded in its ownership by Smith, Giddings & Co., of Green Springs, Seneca Co., Ohio, who are still proprietors of the same, with D. T. Burr as manager of the business.
As soon as the first settlement had increased to a number sufficient to justify the effort of trying to establish a school, we do not find these worthy pioneers dilatory in taking measures to secure to their offspring these much-needed advantages. It is believed that the first session of school ever held in the precincts of Allen Township was taught by Wilson Reed, in the southeastern part of the township, near Buck Run. in the winter of 1829-30. It was taught in an old log cabin which had been vacated as a dwelling. The next term of school was taught by Amos A. Williams, which was also in a log cabin vacated as a dwelling, but in a different locality from the first, yet in the same neighborhood. The next school was taught by Houis Amy, in his own house. The first building erected for school purposes was a log cabin situated on the Christopher Wilber land, at the corner where the Milford and Lewisburg pikes meet. This house was erected about the fall of 1832-33, and Amos A. Williams was the first teacher. This house served the purpose till about 1838- 39, when a frame house was erected near where the Buck Run Chapel now stands This building served as a schoolhouse till the erection of the present frame house, situated on the Milford & Allen Center pike, just south of Buck Run. In a like manner, from settlement to settlement throughout Allen Town- ship, as soon as each neighborhood could support a school, some place was furnished and a school established. The township is now divided into ten sub- districts, with as many good schoolhouses. The enumeration of scholars is as follows:
Subdistrict No. 1, males, 16; females, 16; total, 32. Subdistrict No. 2, males, 17; females, 12; total, 29. Subdistrict No. 3, males, 19; females, 11; total, 30. Subdistrict No. 4, males, 7 ; females, 18 ; total, 25. Subdistrict No. 5, males; 20; females, 17; total, 37. Subdistrict No. 6, males, 14; females, 16; total, 30. Subdistrict No. 7, males. 25; females, 20; total, 45. Subdistrict No. 8, males, 30; females, 25; total, 55. Subdistrict No. 9, males, 17; females, 18; total, 35. Subdistrict No. 10, males, 44; females, 46; total, 90. Total males, 209; females, 199; both males and females, 408.
The report of the Board of Education for Allen Township, September 1, 1881, was as follows Balance on hand September 1, 1881 $4,634.21
State tax 630.00
Irreducible school funds 41.20
Local tax for school and school purposes 2,365.99
Whole amount paid teachers in common schools $2,409.71 For fuel and other contingent expenses 1,427.84
Balance on hand September 1, 1882 $3,833.85
“Whole number of schoolhouses 10 Number of schoolrooms 14
Total value of school property $8,000.00 Number of teachers 11
Employed males 8
Employed females 13
Average wages of teachers, males ; $37.26 Average wages of teachers, females $23.15 Average number of weeks school in session 35 CHURCHES.
Soon after the early settlers had gained a foothold in the territory now comprised in Allen Township, they established schools for the intellectual development of their children, and still earlier they commenced to organize churches for the moral and spiritual development of the people.
Buck Run Methodist Episcopal Church. — This was the earliest organized church in the township:). It is believed that a class was organized as early as 1825, at the house of Daniel Allen, consisting of the following persons, viz. : Henry Vangordon, liachel Allen. Philena Mather, Daniel Allen, Kate Van- gordon, Hamuel Allen and perhaps a few others, with Samuel Allen as Class- leader. This class was organized by Samuel Allen, who was a local preach<^r. They continued to hold their meetings first in private houses and then in the schoolhouses until 1853, when the present frame house was erected and dedicated to service by Bishop S. M. Merrill. This society increased and multi- plied until at one time its membership reached seventy. But of late it has greatly diminished in numbers \yy death and removal, until it is at present reduced to a class of seven persons; and for the last two years has been without a pastor. During the existence of this society they have been administered to by the following preachers: Revs. Daniel D. Davidson. Samuel P. Shaw, William P. Morrow, Michael Marley, Mr. Brown and Robert Finley. After the erection and dedication of the church building, they had the following ministers: Revs. Martindale and Taft, J. S. Adair and D. Mann, Henry Wharton and J. T. Miller, J. F. Longman and J. Slocum, William P. Grantham, Henry H. Ferris, G. G. West, S. C. Webster, A. Avilson, Orville J. Nave, H. E. Pilcher, D. G. Strong, and perhaps a few others. The following have been class-leaders: Daniel Allen, Henry Yangordon, Isaac Allen. Samuel Marsh, Christopher Allen, Thomas Long, Randolph Marsh, Uram Marsh, O. B. Con- verse and George Wilbur.
United Brethren Church (Darby Chapel). — About the year 1849, Rev. F. B. Hendricks, from near Cincinnati, organized a class in the old log school house, with the following persons as members: D. W. Spain and wife Sarah Ann, Reuben Moore and wife Perlina, Joseph Moore, and perhaps a few others. Soon after the organization they proceeded to erect a hewed-log house for church purposes, which was completed about 1851. This house served them until 1870, when the present frame structure was built upon the site of the old house, at a cost of about 11,200, it was dedicated by Rev. W. J. Shuey, of Dayton, Ohio. The following preachers have administered to this people: Rev. B. F. Hendricks, Rev. Tobey, Rev. Farber, Rev. J. M. Marker, Rev. S. S. Holden, Rev. Samuel Downey, Rev. D. Zeigler, Rev.
Daniel Miller, Rev. William Miller, Rev. W. McGinnis, Revs. Merrit Miller, William Ray, D. A. Johnson, Henrv Tobey, Rev. Kiracofe, Rev. Wagoner. Rev. C. Bodie, Revs. H. J. Mulholland, J. Cost, James Wilkinson, J. T. Mahan and R. G. Montgomery. The following persons have been class leaders: Joseph Moon, Reuben Moore, Strange Epps, Hugh Wilson, Clement Spain, Samuel Waddle, William Organ, Fremont Spain and Allen Burroughs. The church now has a member- ship of about sixty.
Darby Methodist Episcopal —About 1850-52, Rev. George Harris organized a class at the school house, consisting of the following persons: Abraham Holycross and wife Hester, William Holycross and wife Nancy, John Organ and wife Louisa, James Kennedy and wife Ivy, William Holycross, Sr., and wife Amy, Nancy Cline, William Smith and wife Sarah, with Abraham Holycross as class leader. Services were held at the schoolhouse about one year, when they erected a hewed-log house for church purposes on the site of the present church. This house served them until 1870, when they erected the present frame building, at a cost of about $1,200. Some of the pastors have been Revs. George W. Harris, Samuel Brown, J. M. Sullivan, Wesley Webster, Jonathan Verity, N. McDonald, W. N. Williams, D. H. Sargeant, E. McHugh, W. B. Jackson. T. E. Fiddler. H. M. Curry, George W. Kelley, A. W. Bell, J. F. Loyd, George H. Kennedy, D. L. Hayward and W. Q. Shannon, the present pastor in charge. The class leaders have been Abraham , Holycross and W. H. Crary; the latter being in charge of the class at the present time. The church now has a membership of about seventy-live. During the summer a flourishing Sunday school is maintained with W. H. Crary as the last Superintendent.
Allen Centre Baptist Church was organized at the Allen Centre School- house in June, 1854, with thirteen constituent members, as follows: Henry Poling, Jonathan Poling, Edith Wells, Jane Smit}\, Owen Wilbur, John Poling, Rachel Lott, Sarah Poling, Elizabeth Poling, Catharine Hale, Edward Eaton, Cyrus Poling, James Harvey, Sarah Ann Poling, George Line and Lewis Jones. Elder George Line “preached the sermon, and Elder James Harvey gave the Right hand of fellowship. The church was organized as “The Buck Run Baptist Church.” Rev. Lewis Jones was the first pastor in charge, preaching as a licentiate till in the fall following its organization, when he was ordained and became the regular minister to the church, and continued as such, holding services in the schoolhouse, until May 12, 1855, when the Baptist Church at Milford Centre was organized and this society was re- moved to that place and united with it. This relation was continued until the summer of 1871, when a re-organization was effected at Allen Centre, known as the ” Allen Centre Baptist Church.” In the fall of the same year, they commenced to erect a frame building for church purposes, which was completed in the summer of 1872, and the same dedicated on Sunday, September 8, 18^2, the dedicatory sermon being preached by Rev. D. Randall, of Columbus; the pastor in charge at the time was Rev. C. K. Dunbar. The present pastor is Elder Vance.
Protestant Methodist Church at Allen Centre. — In the winter of 1803, Rev. Mr. Plummer organized a class consisting of Lewis Corbitt, George Grove and Samuel Poling, with their wives and several others, and soon after, probably in the fall of the same year, erected a comfortable log house, which was duly dedicated to service. They continued as a society to hold services till about 1875, when they ceased to exist as an organization; the church property was sold and is now the private property of Cyrus Poling. Since then there has been no organization of that name.
Pottersburg Methodist Episcopal Church. — In the winter of 1877, Rev. Frank Loyd held a series of meetings in the schoolhouse at Pottersburg, and during this time constituted a class consisting of the following persons: Clin- ton Leonard and wife Nancy, F. J. Robinson and wife Allie F., Mrs. Maiy Ann Burgandine, Samuel Burgandine and wife Jane, Andrew Palmer and wife Nancy, William Robinson, Oliver
Grubbs and wife Ruth, Eli Norviel, Willis Epps and wife Sarah, and a few others, with Clinton Leonard, Willis Epps and Eli Norviel as class-leaders. They held their services in the school- house till the summer of 1880, when they erected the present frame house, 28×42 feet, for church purposes, at a cost of $1,200. The house was dedicated to service by Rev. George H. Kennedy, September 5. 1880. The following ministers have served the church since its organization: Revs. Frank Loyd and George H. Kennedy, who served while in connection with the North Lewisburg Circuit. After the erection of the church edifice, this society was united with the Newton Circuit, and Rev. John Parlette became their minister; he was succeeded by Rev. Winfield Jaggors. The present minister is Rev. Mr. Little. Present membership, thirty-three, with Clinton Leonard and Samuel Burgandine, as class -leaders. A Sunday school was organized a short time prior to the constitution of the church, which has since been con- tinued and is in a flourishing condition, averaging about fifty scholars in at- tendance, with L. F. Lary, Acting Superintendent.
The Buck Run Cemetery, near the church, was probably one of the earliest burying places in this township. The first persons buried here were Daniel Allen, who died August 2, 1832, and Erastus Williams, who died July 29, 1833. These grounds contain many of the first settlers. On the Lewisburg &Marysville pike is another cemetery, situated on the south side of said pike, a short distance west of Squire Isaac Brodrick’s residence. These are the principal burying grounds of this township, although there are two or three other places where one or more persons have been deposited in former days.
February 18, 1869, Andrew S. Mowry surveyed and laid out a town on Survey No. 315. for David A. Williams and George F. Bennett, to be known as Pottersburg, consisting of twenty-four lots, one main street sixty-six feet wide, and four cross streets, viz.: Front, William, Bennett and Carter, each sixty-six feet wide; the lots all situated on Main street commencing with No. 1, and numbering to 24, with all the odd numbers 1 , 3, 5, etc., upon one side of the street, and all the even numbers, 2, 4, 6, etc., on the opposite side, with alleys in the rear of said lots, each twenty feet wide. The plat and grant of lands dedicated to streets and alleys for public use were duly acknowledged and signed by said Williams and Bennett, and their wives, April 14, 1869, before W. M. Winget, a Justice of the Peace, and the same recorded May 1, 1869, by James Smith, Recorder of Union County, Ohio.
October 22, 1872, Thomas Cowgill surveyed and laid out fourteen lots with one street, known as Railroad street, to be an addition to the town of Pottersburg; said addition being situated on the north side of the Atlantic & Great Western Railway, adjoining the town on the north, and made by W. Armstrong. Said street is sixty feet wide. Lot No. 1 is located at the east side of said addition, and numbering westward 2, 3, etc., to No. 14, with three alleys from Railroad street to the rear of said lots, each sixteen and one-half feet wide; and also an alley in rear of lots of same width; the same being duly appropriated and signed and executed by W. Armstrong and wife, before Gilbert H. Stewart, a Notary Public. Recorded December 17, 1872, Hiram Raney, Recorder, Union County, Ohio.
In the summer of 1868, prior to the laying out of the town, Jonas Cline, a carpenter by trade, erected a saw-mill. He also built the first house, which was for Abel Larry; also, in 1869, he erected a house for himself. Then he erected a store room, 12×18 feet, and filled it with groceries, which was the first store in the town. Mr. B. Andrews was the first blacksmith. In 1869, Capt. Cline petitioned for a post office. He
received his commission as Post- master the same year, and has continued to hold the office to this date (1882). In the spring of 1864, the Atlantic & Great Western Railway (now the New York, Pennsylvania & Ohio Railroad), was completed, and the first train of cars run over the road. Capt. Jonas Cline was appointed ticket agent. In 1872, the railway company built a good depot, and a telegraph office was established here. About this time, Capt. Cline erected a large, two story store house, and put in a complete and general stock of goods. Where this town now stands was a dense forest, and before a building could be erected the ground had to be cleared of timber and stumps. Now the town contains about 100 soils, with one good general store, by Capt. Jonas Cline; one blacksmith, Harry Andrews; one saw-mill, erected by Williams & Bennett, now owned by Smith, Giddings & Co., of Green Springs, Seneca Co., Ohio, and in charge of D. T. Burr; one tile factory, owned and operated by the Crary Bros., who are doing a large business; one church (Methodist Episcopal) ; one two-story frame school – house, erected in 1881-82, with two rooms, in which are employed two teachers; the house cost about $1,400, all furnished complete.
At the location of Allen Center, the first business to be carried on was an ashery, which was erected and run a few years by Mr. Joel Everett. Soon after Joshua Eaton purchased five acres of land, and about 1848-49 laid out a few lots with the object of starting a town. A post office was established in February, 1851, with Reuben Foote commissioned as Postmaster. Ransal Smith carried on the cabinet-making business, and Stephen Donahue, black- smithing. Mr. Barnet Bennett erected a large two-story frame house in 1861- 62, and in one of the rooms placed a small stock of goods, constituting the first general store. He continued business till 1864-65, when he sold out to Jacob Painter, who carried on an extensive trade till the fall of 1875, when he closed out his stock with a series of public sales, and removed to Mississippi. Since then one or two others have put in a few goods, but continued in trade but for brief periods of time. About the commencement of the war of the rebellion, the post office was discontinued. At present, the village contains a few houses, but no business except farming.